Dr. Ravikant Joshi is an Urban Finance and Management specialist and has worked in India and abroad. He is former chief accounts officer of Vadodara Municipal Corporation with more than 35 years of experience. He has been responsible for the conceptualisation, designing and implementation of Municipal Financial, Budgetary and Accounting System Reforms and their computerization in Vadodara Municipal Corporation.
- At present since July 2017, Dr. Joshi is working a Team Leader – Technical Support Group to National Urban Livelihood Mission – Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs – Government of India
- Dr. Ravikant Joshi worked as an Advisor – Urban to CRISIL Risk and Infrastructure Solutions, Mumbai from 2002 to 2017.
- He has worked as a short term consultant (STC) for multilaterals like World Bank, Water & Sanitation Program, ADB, USAID, DFID, UN Habitat, CLGF and for various national/state level organisations on urban issues.
- He conceived, designed and spearheaded implementation of Accrual Base Double Entry Accounting System in 159 municipal bodies of Gujarat.
Research and Published Work:
- ‘Augmenting Capital Resources for Urban Development’, doctoral thesis published by Vadodara Municipal Corporation.
- More than 30 Research Papers have been presented in seminars, and published in various journals pertaining to various urban issues.
- ‘Municipal Financial Management’ (1994). Research work under IHSP-HSMI National Fellowship documenting status of financial management system of 20 municipal corporations.
- Active involvement in USAID’s Financial Institutions Reform and Expansion (Debt Component) project. Dr. Joshi teamed up with FIRE Team to prepare training material entitled, “Financial Management for Local Government in India” (1997).
- Carried research study for UNDP on ‘Municipal Accounting and Financial Reporting System’(2002).
- Carried out research study and prepared policy paper on ‘Decentralisation and Local Finance Issues – Workings of State Finance Commissions in India’, under ADB’s Technical Assistance Project, ‘Policy Research Networking to Strengthen Policy Reforms’(2006).
- Written books – published by YUVA – Mumbai
- ‘A Case for Reform – how municipal budgets can change our cities’, December 2001.
- ‘From Accounting to Accountability – A Case for Municipal Accounting Reforms’ published in September 2004.
- ‘Redesigning Governance – Relevance of Management Information System in Municipal Bodies’– published in June 2005
- ‘Compendium of Urban Performance Indicators’, in November 2005.
Guest / Visiting Faculty/ Teaching
Dr. Joshi has delivered lectures/has shared his experience as a guest faculty at several national and international institutions / universities
Dr. Joshi served as Chair Professor for Urban Management in Saint Joseph College of Business Administration – Bangalore
Training to Municipal Officers, Elected Representatives and Urban Activists
Dr. Joshi has delivered lectures/has shared his experience as a guest faculty at several national institutions and has trained municipal officers, elected representatives and urban activists.
Dr. Joshi has written several articles regarding various urban issues / problems deliberately in regional language to create public awareness. Also has worked with various civil society organisations like YUVA, PRIYA, JANAAGRAHA, Centre of Environmental Education (CEE), Janawani, Avantha Foundation etc.
- Passed Bachelor of Performing Arts in Dramatics in 1987 – M. S. University – Baroda
- Served as President of Marathi Vangmay Parishad – Baroda
- Served as President of Baroda Amateurs’ Dramatic Club – Baroda
- Directed Marathi Plays – ‘Goshta Janmantarichi (1992)’, ‘Pala Pala Kon Pudhe Palito (1993)’,Prema Tuza Rang Kasa (1994)’, ‘Sangeet Mandarmala (1996)’, Sangeet He Bandh Reshmache(2012)’, and a program on Marathi Natya Sangeet ‘ Marmabandhatali Thev Hi (2012).
- Researched and Directed Radio Program on Marathi Natyasangeet which broadcasted 52 episodes on Vividh Bharati every Sunday.